ANGLO-WELSH is obviously not suffering from the financial downturn, as it has 15 new boats on order over the next four years.
The company has commissioned Stoke Prior based boat builder J L Pinder & Sons to build the boats that will join its fleet of 150 boats at 11 bases across the country.
Three this winter
With three being built this winter, the six berth ‘Bond Class' boats will begin to operate from Anglo-Welsh bases at Trevor and Wootton Wawen in spring 2011. The new boats have been specially designed following close consultation with long-term Anglo-Welsh customers.
Rob Lawrence, managing director of Anglo-Welsh, explains:
"We wanted to augment our fleet with new boats which matched as closely as possible our customers' wishes. We asked a number of long-term customers what they would like to see in a new six berth boat and what they felt would add a touch of luxury.
"We expected them to ask for dishwashers and plasma screen televisions but what they asked for was quite different! They asked for more room for relaxation, an extra shower point and flexible but private sleeping areas. We've named the new boats ‘Bond' because they have charm, sophistication and hulls of steel!"
- Two shower and toilet cubicles, one extra large;
- Flexible and private berths allowing customers to create three doubles or six singles or any combination in between;
- New more energy efficient engines;
- A large stern and foredeck giving plenty of room to watch the world go by;
- Solid fuel stoves, providing a cosy and warm environment;
- Light and spacious kitchens with modern fittings but a traditional feel, using ash and other light coloured woods.
Anglo Welsh bases can be found at: Trevor and Bunbury on the Llangollen Canal; Great Haywood on the Staffs & Worcs Canal; Barton Marina on the Trent & Mersey Canal; Tardebigge on the Worcs & Birmingham Canal; Wootton Wawen on the Stratford Canal; North Kilworth on the Grand Union Leicester Line; Oxford on The Thames; and at Bath, Monkton Combe and Bradford on Avon on the Kennet & Avon Canal.