Lucky escape for boater

Published: Monday, 28 September 2009
A BOATER at Sawley Marina had a lucky escape when deadly carbon monoxide fumes leaked in his boat.

Luckily he had a carbon monoxide alarm fitted which alerted him in time to escape the fumes and call the fire services.

The fire crews from nearby Long Eaton attended and immediately ventilated the boat.

However, the owner, who was not affected by the fumes, was advised to  find alternative accommodation for the night until a qualified plumber had attended the problem.

This again shows the importance of installing carbon monoxide alarms in boats, especially those with solid fuel stoves, and not—as shown in narrowboatworld—block up air vents.